Aug 22, 2008

Joint project will televise contested Michigan House debates


If you're a political junkie like I am, you will thrilled to hear the Center for Michigan and Detroit Public TV are teaming up to televise debates between state House candidates representing Southeast Michigan.

This sure beats another episode of some lame reality show, and this is real reality. The plan is to begin taping 30-minute, fixed-format debates at DPTV’s Detroit studios. The candidates will field questions from area journalists, such as Nolan Finley, editorial page editor of The Detroit News, and Ron Dzwonkowski, editorial page editor of the Detroit Free Press. Other Detroit-area journalists may serve as hosts and moderators depending on debate schedules, according to the Center's blog.

Apparently, invitations were already mailed out, and debates have been set up in eight districts, including the two open seats that represent Livingston County where I live.

In the 47th District, Democrat Scott Lucas is debating Cindy Denby and in the 66th District Democrat Donna Anderson is debating Bill Rogers.

Also lined up are debate are:
DISTRICT 1 (Detroit-Grosse Pointe) -- Mary Treder Lang (R) vs. Timothy Bledsoe (D)
DISTRICT 2 (Detroit) -- Edith Floyd (R) vs. LaMar Lemons (D)
DISTRICT 19 (Livonia) -- John Walsh (R) vs. Steve King (D)
DISTRICT 40 (Birmingham) -- Chuck Moss (R) vs. Julie Chandler (D)
DISTRICT 45 (Rochester) -- Tom McMillin (R) vs. Randy Young (D)
DISTRICT 56 (Monroe) -- JeanMarie Dahm (R) vs Kate Ebli (D)

It also appears they are trying to cover all 110 House Districts. If you are a candidate and want to get involved you can email John Bebow at jbebow@thecenterformichigan.net.

Better yet, urge the candidate in your district to get signed up. No schedule has been promulgated yet for air times, but they will also be available on the Center's web site.

The Center for Michigan was founded by Phil Power, the former owner and publisher of Hometown Newspapers, in 2006. He calls it a "think-and-do tank" The Center's objective "is to assist our state through its current period of wrenching economic trouble and to lay the foundation of informed hope for a better future Michigan. It will help develop and execute comprehensive, long-range and, in some cases, radical policy solutions to transform Michigan's business, economic, political and cultural climate. In so doing, it will work to help reform the structure and workings of Michigan's political system."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, Barack Hussein Obama is being sued in Federal court in Philadelphia by a Hillary Clinton supporter. He's claiming that Obama was not born in Hawaii but was born in Kenya.

If he fails in that, he's stating that he was a citizen of India when his mother married his stepfather.

You gotta love the unity in the Democrat party.

Brett

Anonymous said...

Well, we better put away our tents and go home.

Regarding unity in the Democratic party, it's full of a lot of different ideas, unlike the Republican party which gets its marching orders from a select holy few.

I'll take a lot of different ideas over marching orders anyday.

Regarding the minimalist "Democrat" party jab, grow the fuck up.

Anonymous said...

My my. Someone seems to be on edge. Or did you 'plagiarize' that from Senator Biden? Perhaps drinking adult beverages wouldn't be the better option for you after all.

Brett

Anonymous said...

*eye roll*
The only thing that puts me on edge is fucking morons. I have absolutely no patience for those, of which, you act as one.

Spare me the "holier than thou" act, we both know you're a fucking moron.

Communications guru said...

How about not posting your rants in more than one place. I will debunk it her also.
Anybody can sue anyone for anything in this courryt, but they will lose. That stuff has already been tried by right-wingers and debunked.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

The only candidate born outside the U.S. was Grampy Sydney McSame. I know this, Democrats are passionate about their candidate, but in November they will vote for Obama. They just need to ask themselves: am I better off now than I was eight years ago? The answer is not only no, but hell no. Unless, of course, you are one of the richest 1 percent in this country.

Anonymous said...

Class envy? Really?

Ever get a job from a poor person?

Communications guru said...

“Class envy?” I have no idea what you are talking about, or what point you are trying to make.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised.

Brett

Communications guru said...

Some how, it’s my fault you can’t write a complete sentence or express a complete thought?

Anonymous said...

My deepest apologies. I should have known that you'd not understand the term "class envy". I won't confuse you with those big words again.

Brett

Communications guru said...

Please, stop playing stupid. That comment came out of nowhere.

I debunked your ridiculous claim about Obama’s birth certificate and also asked you to stop posting the same duplicate comments in more than one place. Then, you posted this:

“Class envy? Really?

Ever get a job from a poor person?”

What does that have to do with Obama’s birth certificate, or televised debates between Michigan House candidates?

Plus, I'm perfectly happy with my class.

Anonymous said...

You conveniently left off your last line in trying to explain your ignorance of the Class envy comment I made. Here's your entire post again. Note the last sentence:

Communications guru said...
How about not posting your rants in more than one place. I will debunk it her also.
Anybody can sue anyone for anything in this courryt, but they will lose. That stuff has already been tried by right-wingers and debunked.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

The only candidate born outside the U.S. was Grampy Sydney McSame. I know this, Democrats are passionate about their candidate, but in November they will vote for Obama. They just need to ask themselves: am I better off now than I was eight years ago? The answer is not only no, but hell no. Unless, of course, you are one of the richest 1 percent in this country.

9:38 PM

I'm sure that that last line just slipped your mind. You wouldn't purposely be trying to be....."stupid" (is that the name you attempted to call me in your last post?).

I don't see how you debunked anything. I really think you must think that "debunked" must mean "disagree".

I find the entire story about his birth and/or adoption to be another one of those wild fantacies we see on occasion. But I would find it hilarious if it turned out to be true. I wouldn't say I told you so, but I'd sure be back here asking you again about the definition of "debunking" because I'm sure you'd give it an entirely new definition.


Brett

Communications guru said...

Again, I have no idea what you are trying to say or what you mean. I said everything I wanted to say, and I left nothing out. There apparently is some back and forth playing out in your head that only you see. I am not a mind reader.

Are you talking abut the “ask a poor person for a job line?” It makes as much sense as your entire post. What does that have to do with a birth certificate or debates for Michigan House candidates?
I’ll make this clear as possible” The birth certificate thing has been tried and debunked by fact check. Here is the link again. Can you read?

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

I am so tired of wasting my time with a closed mind, and with someone who gets upset because I cannot read your mind.

Anonymous said...

You're a liberal. That makes you irrelevent. I don't get upset at those I consider irrelevent.

Again, I apologize for your lack of understanding. I re-pasted it for you and you're still not getting it. I'm not going to hold your hand through it. I will just try to speak in simpler terms for you henceforth (that means from this point forward).

Brett

Communications guru said...

Like I have said numerous times, I guarantee you have a relative, or maybe even a friend, who has a better life because of liberals.

I’m not asking you to “hold my hand.” I’m asking you to make sense. You are obviously not putting into words the thoughts going around in your head, but your writing makes no sense and has no point, at least in this instance.

Anonymous said...

What a waste of a great idea....only the 1st and MAYBE the 56th are comptetive seats.....19th used to be but democrats have all but pulled out of livonia after the mayoral race....if they wanted to do this right youd see seats like 39,51,62,65,91,and 101

Communications guru said...

I have to disagree. I think hearing from the people who may represent us. Also, I don’t think the 56th district race will be that close. I walked for Kate Ebli in 2006, and she’s secure. Her opponent has raised the most money of all House candidates. The problem is it all came from her.

Gary Baumgarten said...

John Walsh will be my guest at 5 PM ET on News Talk Online on Paltalk.com today, October 24

Please go to www.garybaumgarten.com and click on the Join The Show button to talk to him.

Thanks.