Mar 11, 2008

Kilpatrick blasts text-scandal critics in State of the City address


Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick laid out his vision for the City of Detroit in his seventh State of the City Address Tuesday night. But he took the last five minutes to take shots at his critics, including TV stations, for what he called “a hate-filled, bigoted attack on his family” over the growing text-messaging scandal.

“In the past 30 days I have been called a n----- more than anytime in my entire life,” he said. “In the past three days I have received more death threats than I have in my entire administration. I've heard these words before, but I've never heard people say them about my wife and children. I don't believe that a Nielsen rating is worth the life of my children or your children. This unethical, illegal lynch-mob mentality has to stop.”

Kilpatrick was greeted by a standing ovation and shouts of “We love you Kwame” from the crowd of some 3,000 inside Orchestra Hall when he was introduced, in sharp contrast to the 50 or so protestors outside demanding his resignation. An emotional Kilpatrick ended his 70-minute speech to a standing ovation as well.

Kilpatrick has been under fire since text messages, revealed in a lawsuit by police whistleblowers, showed he had an affair with his then-chief of staff even though he denied it in court testimony. Next week the City Council plans to vote on a resolution asking him to resign over the scandal, in part because the council says it received false information from attorneys about why the mayor abruptly decided to settle the whistleblower case, costing the city millions of dollars.

On Monday, the scandal took on a new dimension as a retired police clerk swore in an affidavit that she saw a 2002 police report in which dancer Tamara Greene claimed she was attacked by the mayor's wife during a party at the city-owned Manoogian Mansion. Kilpatrick has denied such a party took place. Greene was later found murdered.

Adding more fuel to the Kilpatrick resignation chorus were comments Tuesday from Michigan Speaker of the House Andy Dillon, like Kilpatrick a Democrat, that the city can’t wait for the results of a criminal investigation and trial to resolve the text-messaging scandal.

But Kilpatrick tried to put that all behind him during his speech. While he made a few offhand references to the scandal -- at the beginning of the speech he referred to "the Kwame Kilpatrick roller coaster ride” -- he attempted to paint a picture of hope and optimism.

“Tonight we are at the dawn of an era of a new Detroit,” he said. “Detroit, this is our moment, and we are here to examine the state of Detroit.”

Kilpatrick highlighted the huge development projects that are transforming downtown, including the renovation of some 75 blighted buildings with millions of dollars in new investments. He also addressed the problems facing the city’s neighborhoods, offering a program called the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund. He plans to sell $300 million in new bonds to finance improvements.

He also highlighted police protection, saying he plans to deploy six new mobile police stations in recreational vehicles, and put 300 new police officers on the streets. “We are using technology to bring the police station to you,” he said.

He also outlined addressed juvenile crime with a plan for a residential boarding academy for troubled students, at the old Belle Isle Boat Club site, that would include a Navy ROTC program.

But at the end of his speech he appeared to catch many by surprise when he attacked his critics and said: “I humbly ask that we say 'no more' together."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you believe he should resign?

Communications guru said...

Yes. Do you?

Anonymous said...

Yes I do.

Can I assume then that you also were for the impeachment of President Clinton. Why did he not resign?

Communications guru said...

No. You know what they say about assume, and you just proved it. The situations are not the same. It’s Kilpatrick’s actions in the lawsuit why I think he should resign. Clinton should never have been asked the questions he was asked in a deposition, and his actions did not cost taxpayers a cent.

Now, Ken Starr’s witch-hunt costs taxpayers $80 million, that’s the one who should have been impeached if anyone was.

Anonymous said...

Again learn how to read or stop rewriting what I write.

I said "Can I assume" Not I assume. There is a difference.

If you think that Clinton should not be asked question about girlfriends then you should be on the side of the mayor because he should not have been asked any questions about it, even if journalist wrote about it. What does girlfriends or sex have to do with the mayors problems?

At least you should strive to be intellectually honest.

Just because you would kiss the ground Bill Clinton walked on does not mean you should be blind when you write about him.

Communications guru said...

I can read fine, thanks. Perhaps you should look up the word assume in the dictionary?

Again you are wrong. You might try doing some research, who-ever-you-are. The Mayor’s chief-of-staff was involved in the firing of the two police officers, which was why they were both in court and why they were asked of they had an affair. I have no clue why the special prosecutor would ask about Monica Lewinsky.

Someone who does not have the balls to take ownership of what they write and posts anonymously is trying to lecture me about being “intellectually honest?” That’s sad.

I certainly don’t “kiss the ground Bill Clinton walked on,” but I don’t blindly hate him because he’s from a different party. He was one of the best presidents we have had. I also respect the heights he rose to considering his humble background. He wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth nor was a legacy like the guy in the WH now.

Anonymous said...

Again you are wrong, you accused me of saying "I assumed" when I really said "Can I assume". Do you not understand the difference or being caught you just can not say you were wrong. Another reason you are a Democrat.

By the way you say "Someone who does not have the balls to take ownership of what they write and posts anonymously is trying to lecture me about being
“intellectually honest?” That’s sad."

Is the not the kettle calling the pot black. I do not know who you are. You have not given anyone your name. Do you mean because you have a alias of communications guru that is telling me your name.

My name is Joe Blow, is that any better than Communications guru. You are too easy to verbally debate.

By the way I do not blindly hate anyone, I just do not blindly love someone like you.

Please tell me what did he personally do to make him "one of the best presidents"?

Communications guru said...

The word "assume" means one thing. It’s that simple. However, if you think I’m wrong or accused you of something, then fine I’m wrong there. But that does not change the fact that the situation with the Mayor of Detroit and President Clinton are not the same.

Like I told you in the last post; I think it was you, who-ever-you-are, Joe Blow or snowman,

“As for the name; first, anything I write comes under the name “Communications Guru.” No one else has that handle, so if you see something written by Communications Guru, I wrote it. Anyone can write under the name anonymous. Second, if you look in the profile box you will see my real name. Third, this was posted under anonymous, not “Joe Blow.”

I also already spelled out what makes him one of our best presidents in the same post I cleared up my name situation, complete with a link.